Sunday, March 22, 2015

My "Welcome Back for the First Time Trip"




                                                    My “Welcome Back for the First Time Trip”   

School children in Kumasi, Ghana.
The weather was hot and humid. My body was filled with an eerie mix of anticipation and nervousness. As the line grew nearer, I immediately grabbed my bags and ran hurriedly toward the exit sign of the airplane. Although I had never physically been here before, I felt a strange sense of deja vous. As I came down the stairs of the plane, a woman dressed in traditional African print smiled at me and said with a heavy Ghanaian accent “Welcome home, my sister!”  No other words could have been more touching at that moment. Before I realized what I was doing, my lips repeatedly touched the hot pavement, and I was thanking God for the opportunity to be here. My classmates shared my sentiments. I was 22 years old and a senior at Stony Brook University finally living one of my dreams of voyaging to Africa, the motherland! For me this was more than just a Study Abroad experience; this was the experience of a lifetime! I was certain this was going to be the best experience of my life!
My church sisters in Ghana. Can you find me?
“Make sure you take all of your pills. Don’t drink the water. Stay with the group at all times. Don’t come back married. Be careful with that brand new digital camera!” The voice of my father rang in my head like an alarm clock. The night before I embarked on this journey, I appeased all of my family’s concerns, but I knew once I reached, I would be free to do my own thing! I imagined tasting traditional foods, learning the language, visiting Cape Coast Castle and possibly falling in love with an African prince! My dreams were finally being realized and was going to relish every moment of it!
In Ghana, it is customary to carry things on your head.

Ghanaian cedis. This currency was phased out in 2007
My friends at home would never believe the things I would see here. Would we visit a safari? Would I see giraffes and monkeys? Maybe even lions, tigers and bears- Oh my! Would I finally learn to sew? Patterns of green, gold and brown danced in my head to the beat of an African drum.  Would I see where people were sold into slavery? Could I see some distant relatives? Would I cry or keep my composure? These and many other thoughts occupied my mind as Jaquaia, and I travelled through customs with passport, visa and yellow fever stamp in hand. After we claimed our bags, changed our dollars to cedis ( the currency in Ghana), we sat in the front of the airport making silly songs and rhymes.  I looked out at the lush terrain and envisioned a life here. At last, Africa was mine!

Pounding the cassava for the fufu!


Vocabulary


  1. eerie- (adjective) - strange and mysterious.
  2. anticipation- (noun)- the act of looking forward in excitement.
  3. deja vous- (noun)- French for "already seen); the feeling that you have already experienced something that is actually happening for the first time.
  4. Ghanaian- (adjective) Of or relating to the African country of Ghana.
  5. sentiments- (noun) an attitude, thought, or judgment prompted by feeling.
  6. embarked - (verb)  to begin a journey especially on a ship or airplane.
  7. appeased -(verb) to make (someone) pleased or less angry by giving or saying something desired.
  8. hurriedly (adverb)- done very quickly
  9. safari- (noun) a journey to see or hunt animals especially in Africa
  10. envisioned- (verb) to think of something that you believe might exist or happen in the future : to picture (something) in your mind.


My Welcome back for the First Time Trip
Use the vocabulary words to complete the crossword below
1





2






3








4

5



6









7


















8



9















10








eerie sentiments anticipation safari deja vous appeased embarked Ghanaian envisioned hurriedly
  • Down
  • 2. To imagine.
  • 4. A journey for hunting or viewing animals.
  • 5. Feelings.
  • 9. To try to please someone.
  • Across
  • 1. Quickly.
  • 3. Relating to the country of Ghana.
  • 6. A strange feeling.
  • 7. Excitement.
  • 8. A feeling that you have seen something before even though t is the first time.
  • 10. To begin a journey.
Grammar Point
I have used a number of quotation marks around a few sets of words in the passage. We use quotation marks when we quote, or  write the exact words of another speaker or writer. Quotation marks begin and end a quotation. Can you count how many times I have quoted in the passage?



1 comment:

  1. Very nice entry! You captured the excitement you felt in preparing for the fabulous trip that you took. Will you tell us more about it in your other posts?

    ReplyDelete